Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Strawberry Pie

"Hello Beautiful Pie" was the first thing I said when I put the last strawberry on top. I couldn't wait to dig in with a huge dollop of whipped cream, but I had to control myself. The pie was for dessert after a bbq we had over the weekend. So I waited and waited and waited until finally it was time. Delicious! I love that this pie isn't overly sweet and it tastes so fresh. I'm not a fan of gelatin so I scoured the web for recipes without it and this one turned out great. So simple and quick.

Fresh Strawberry Pie
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens

Ingredients
1 recipe Baked Pastry Shell
8 cups medium fresh strawberries
2/3
cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Whipped cream (optional)

Directions

1. Prepare Baked Pastry Shell and set aside. Meanwhile remove stems from strawberries. Cut any large strawberries in half lengthwise; set aside.

2. For glaze, in a blender or food processor combine 1 cup of the strawberries and 2/3 cup water. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Add enough additional water to the mixture to equal 1-1/2 cups. In a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in blended strawberry mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. If desired, stir in red food coloring. Remove from heat; cool for 10 minutes. (Do not stir.)

3. Spread about 1/4 cup of the glaze over bottom and sides of Baked Pastry Shell. Arrange half of the remaining strawberries, stem ends down, in the pastry shell.

4. Carefully spoon half of the remaining glaze over berries, making sure all berries are covered. Arrange remaining berries over first layer. Spoon remaining glaze over berries, covering each. Chill for 1 to 2 hours. (After 2 hours, filling may begin to water out.) If desired, top with whipped cream.

5. Makes 8 slices

6. Fresh Peach Pie: Prepare as above, except substitute 6 cups sliced, peeled peaches for the strawberries and omit the food coloring.

As you can tell, there have been one too many cheat days during my diet. Yesterday I went wine tasting which I'll be posting about later. Today, I'm back on track (hopefully).

2 comments:

  1. mmm, i love strawberry pie. i'm just horrible at making pies.

    ReplyDelete