Monday, November 12, 2012

Homemade Pumpkin Puree

Pumpkin puree is one of those ingredients I'd been meaning to make every year with my leftover pumpkins and this year I finally did it. I had a sugar pumpkin leftover that hadn't been carved for Halloween and a quiet house Saturday morning to do whatever I wanted.

First apologize to the pumpkin for leaving it out of the Halloween carving festivites but promise it will be just as loved in pumpkin pie. Then remove the stem/seeds and cut into 4 equal parts. Place in a baking dish, cover with foil and bake at 325 deg until the pumpkin is tender. This took about 45 minutes for me.

 It will look similar to this when done. Allow to cool.
Then you get to use one of my favorite kitchen tools.....
FOOD MILL- oh how I love you.

Scoop the pumpkin from the skin and plop into the food mill. You'll want to use the smallest holes attachment that you have.

Then mill the heck out of your pumpkin and maybe sing a little folk song while you do. I always feel like I'm living on a prairie and churning butter or something when I use it.

And there you have it- perfect pumpkin puree. All the stringy bits stay behind in the food mill unlike a food processor which just doesn't do the job properly.

So, what did I use my pumpkin puree in? Pumpkin pie bars! A delicious recipe I found on Pinterest. I'll share that later.

2 comments:

  1. I hang my head in shame but I have only ever used pumpkin puree from the can (sigh). My hat is off to you! Awesome.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I haven't ever tried making my own pumpkin puree either. I have been meaning to every fall it just gets away from me. kudos :) Great pictures :)

    ReplyDelete