Thursday, December 31, 2009

Gateau A L'Orange (Orange Spongecake)


I love the scene in the movie Julie & Julia when Julie toast Julia Child and says "Julia Child you are so good" that is how I feel about her too. Everything I have made from Mastering the Art of French Cooking has been fantastic. The recipes are easy to follow and although the ingredients always call for butter, eggs and/or cream... I don't care because it's worth it. The other night I made Gateau A L'Orange (Orange Spongecake) and it was spongy goodness. Having it for dessert the next night, I improvised by sprinkling a little Grand Marnier on top and topping with vanilla ice cream. Yum! The photo is the cake with powdered sugar and whipped cream. Yum again!

Here is the recipe:

Preheat oven to 350 deg.

You will need:
A round cake pan 9 x 1 1/2 inches (I used a springform pan)

2/3 granulated sugar
4 egg yolks
zest of one orange
1/3 C strained orange juice (next time I'll add a little Grand Marnier as well)
pinches of salt
3/4 C cake flour
4 egg whites
1 T granulated sugar

Butter and flour cake pan (I also lined mine with parchment paper on the bottom)

Gradually beat the sugar into the egg yolks and continue beating until the mixture thickens to form a ribbon. Add the orange zest, orange juice and a pinch of salt. Beat for a moment or two until mixture is light and foamy. Then beat in the flour.

Beat the egg whites and a pinch of salt together in a separate bowl until soft peaks are formed. Sprinkle in the sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed. Stir 1/4 of the egg whites into the batter, delicately fold in the rest.

Immediately turn into prepared cake pan and run the batter up to the rim all around. Bake in the middle position of a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. Cake is done when it has puffed, browned and shows a faint line of shrinkage from the edge of the mold.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just got Julia Child's cookbook for Christmas and this is the second recipe I've made. It's fabulous! I can't wait to try the regular (vanilla?) sponge cake recipe later this year when strawberries are in season. Yum! (Oh, and I found your blog after googling "Julia Child gateau à l'orange, in case you're curious.) Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete