Thursday, November 5, 2009

Apple Coffee Cake











I've seen quite a few recipes for Apple Coffee Cake on blogs lately and I really wanted to try one last night. I didn't have all the ingredients so I substituted a few things. The basics for the recipe I found on http://myitaliangrandmother.blogspot.com/2009/10/apple-coffee-cake.html It's the perfect coffee cake for breakfast or for my husband's late night snack with vanilla ice cream. Here is the recipe with my substitutions:
Ingredients:
Cake
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped (I left a little skin on, my peeling isn't great because I get impatient)
1 lemon
1 C all-purpose flour
3/4 C whole wheat flour
3/4 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t kosher salt
1/2 C unsalted butter softened
1 t vanilla
2 large eggs
1 C lowfat plain yogurt
Streusel
2/3 C lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 old fashioned oats
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t kosher salt
6 T unsalted butter
1/2 C chopped pecans
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. ggrease a 9-inch springfoam pan. I used my Kitchenaid to combine the streusel ingredients until the butter was the size of peas. Set aside.
Prepare apples and toss with lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients.
In a large bowl, mix butter with sugar until well combined. Add eggs one at a time until combined and then add vanilla.
On low speed, alternately add flour mixture and yogurt to butter mixture until combined.
Add half the batter to the pan, sprinkle with half of the streusel then spread the apples on top of streusel. Pour remaining batter over apples, the sprinkle with the rest of the streusel.
Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of the cake comes out clean. Cool at least 1 hour before removing side of pan.
Enjoy! As you can see from the photos, my kitty (Minute) was very interested in the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment