Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Homemade Life- Molly Wizenberg

I had the day off from work today and spent it doing something I love almost as much as cooking, reading. I wandered thru the library, especially the food aisle, and came across this book, A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg. She is the author of the popular blog Orangette. I spent all day, well apart from brief intermissions to run errands, have dinner and make brownies, reading this book. It's cozy, warm and a sincerely written tale of her life and the food she loves.
We all start blogs for various reasons. I'm sure many of us started them after Julie & Julia came out and while some will become hugely popular, most will be a place to share our stories, recipes, thoughts and photos to friends, family and the few anonymous ones who stumble upon it.
I started my blog because I love the sharing of food. Whenever I make something I want to share. I send the portable items to family and friends..cookies, brownies, breads and cakes. Unfortunately, it's not practical to have a dinner party every night when you've worked all day so blogging about it seemed the next best thing. I'll never be a professional chef since I'm too picky an eater and don't fancy the idea of working in a hot secluded kitchen serving food to unknown patrons beyond the double doors. Reading A Homemade Life reaffirmed my feelings that blogging isn't just a place to let your "all about me" shine, but something cathartic like writing in a diary but leaving out the embarrassing details you wouldn't want your mom to find. If you get a chance, check out her book, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment