Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sunday Southern Supper

Last year for Thanksgiving I went to Alabama for the first time. During the visit, I got a taste of true southern food and my favorite dish was grits. How have grits not made their way to my part of California? The only kind I kind find at the grocery store are instant...YUCK! I bought the real thing online and when it came I was so exicted. We invited some friends over for dinner and I think I sold them on grits deliciousness as well.
Paula Deen's Sausage and Grits Casserole
White Wine, Shallots and Vinegar Potato Salad
Mini Cornbread Muffins
Baked Beans
I also made a lemon merigune pie. Sadly, I competely forgot to photograph it but it's the perfect excuse to make another one.
Do you have a favorite southern dish?

Sausage and Grits Casserole
adapted by Paula Deen

Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked grits (not instant)
1 lb bulk breakfast sausage (if you need to use links, finely dice the cooked links)
1 cup onion, diced
2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans green chilies, drained and chopped
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
10 drops Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (I used chives)

Directions
1 Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2 Cook the grits in 4 cups of salted water until done (follow package directions) Saute the sausage and onions, breaking the sausage into small pieces.
3 Drain the grease from the sausage and onions.
4 Add the chilies, butter, eggs, cheese and Tabasco to the cooked grits.
5 Combine the sausage and onions with the grits mixture.
6 Pour everything into a 9"x 13" casserole and garnish with the paprika and parsley.
7 The mixture can be refrigerated for up to two days before baking (bring to room temperature before baking to use the same bake time).
8 Bake at 325°F for one (1) hour.

3 comments:

  1. Whoo-hoo! Glad to see grits are making the rounds:) I grew up on them and I can't imagine life without them. The lemon meringue pie is a classic ending. Happy Cooking!

    ReplyDelete