Friday, October 29, 2010

Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins- A Healthy Experiment

I like to always have something ready for breakfast during the week that I can grab and eat when I get to work. Normally, I make muffins or quick bread with butter, oil, eggs, whole milk or a combo of those ingredients. Since the holidays are coming and the pants are already a bit snug, I decided to lighten up my favorite pumpkin muffin recipe. These are really dense but packed with flavor. I topped them with slivered almonds and a little raw sugar.


Ingredients
1 C Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 C All Purpose Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 beaten egg
1/2 dried cranberries
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C pumpkin puree
4 T unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 T ground flax or wheat germ

Silvered Almonds and Raw Sugar (optional for topping)

Combine flours, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add the remaining ingredients. Mix until just combined (don't over mix or batter will be tough). Distribute batter evenly among muffin cups. Top with silvered almonds and a little raw sugar. Bake in 350 deg oven for approx 25-30 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. What a perfect combination of flavours! These muffins look really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The toppings look so pretty on this! I love a grab and go breakfast as well. I make a batch of granola bars nearly every week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pumpkin / cranberry combination. The muffins look great!

    ReplyDelete