Friday, May 6, 2011

Jamie Oliver's Fruit Salad and Carrot Cake

I'm a big fan of Jamie Oliver. I really admire his dedication to educating the public on the importance of healthy eating and when I saw I Heart Cooking Clubs is featuring him this month, I knew I had to participate. The following recipes can be found on his website www.jamieoliver.com

Tropical Fruit Salad
I added strawberries and orange slices since I couldn't find a ripe papaya at the store. The lime juice added a nice tang to the sweet fruit. I'll definitely be making this again.

A Rather Peasing Carrot Cake with Lime Mascarpone Icing
This cake although beautiful and the icing delicious was a huge failure for me. So much so, that I actually had to throw it away. it was all my fault. I tried to measure the ingredients with a conversion chart I found online because I don't have a kitchen scale. Please, do not try that home. The texture was completely off. Not to mention, I'm still learning how to bake with an electric oven so the top was overly browned and the bottom undercooked. Oh well, it's all part of the learning process so I tried not to be too upset about it. Confession, I may have let one tear slip and cursed the oven a little bit. So sad.

I hope you'll check out I Heart Cooking Clubs. Have a wonderful Mother's Day.

8 comments:

  1. So glad to have you join us! I can never pass up a gorgeous fruit salad like the one you shared here. It looks delicious. The cake looks great too, sorry to hear it didn't work with the conversions chart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fruit salad looks really refreshing. Shame about the cake - but at least it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to have you cooking along with us at IHCC. ;-) The salad looks colorful and light and the cake looks good too. Bummer it didn't work out with the conversion.

    Aloha,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. This salad looks yummy!

    I made that cake before too and it is NOT your fault. I have a scale and measured the ingredients without doing the conversions and I have a convection oven and it still turned out funny. Way undercooked in the center, to greasy. There is a problem with that recipe. But the icing is great. I made it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That salad looks so refreshing! I'm sorry the cake was a bust, looks pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I just want to grab a big bowl with that colorful fruit salad and sit in the sun with a girly drink and a book popping fruit into my mouth...yum! Bummer about the cake =(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the cake. It sure does look good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fruit salads are always yummy, but i am not font on papaya so i would choose strawberries to. I'm getting curious on the carrot cake, never had any. Nummer yours didn't work out but i'm going to try this one.

    ReplyDelete