Friday, May 27, 2011

Tomato Bruschetta and Tuscan Lemon Chicken

This month I'm joining the fun over at Food N Flix. May's movie is Under the Tuscan Sun which I had never seen before. It's one of those movie with beautiful landscape, fast-moving plot and all ties up nicely at the end. Plus, any reason to make some Italian inspired food is a good reason for me. I chose to make Tomato Bruschetta and Tuscan Lemon Chicken.
Tomato Bruschetta before it's all mixed together. I just love the vibrant red and deep green.

Tomato Bruschetta Recipe
adapted from www.tuscanrecipes.com

8 chopped ripe roma (plum) tomatoes
5 leaves chopped fresh basil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 pinch of dried oregano
1 dash of crushed red pepper
1 pinch salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
2-3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 loaf of Italian-style (or French) bread, cut into diagonal slices

1.In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, oregano, red pepper, salt, pepper and olive oil. Use more olive oil, if necessary, to coat the entire mixture. Allow the mixture to sit for 10-15 minutes for flavors to blend.
2.In the meantime, preheat the broiler. On a baking sheet, arrange the slices of bread in a single layer and brown both sides slightly in the oven. Remove the slices from the oven.
3.Spread the tomato mixture on the still warm toasted bread slices and serve

Dinner- YUM!. As we all know, chicken is just not photogenic, but trust me it's delicious. Probably because it's another recipe from Ina Garten.

Tuscan Lemon Chicken
by Barefoot Contessa

Ingredients
1 (3 1/2-pound) chicken, flattened
Kosher salt
1/3 cup good olive oil
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, halved

Directions
Sprinkle the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt on each side. Combine the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, and 2 teaspoons pepper in a small measuring cup. Place the chicken in a ceramic or glass dish just large enough to hold it flat. Pour the lemon marinade over the chicken, turning it in the dish. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Turn the chicken 2 or 3 times while marinating.

When ready to grill, prepare a hot charcoal fire on 1 side of a grill (or turn a gas grill on low heat). Spread 1/4 of the coals across the other side of the grill. Place the chicken on the cooler side, skin side up, and weigh it down with the dish you used for marinating. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until the underside is golden brown. Turn the chicken skin side down, weight again with the dish, and cook for another 12 to 15 minutes, until the skin is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through. Place the lemon halves on the cool side of the grill, cut side down for the last 10 minutes of cooking. Remove the chicken to a plate or cutting board, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Cut in quarters, sprinkle with salt, and serve with the grilled lemon halves.

My newest basil plant from Trader Joes which I used for the bruschetta.
Any gardeners out there? I have killed every single basil plant I've ever purchased. I really try to keep it alive and happy but it always dies. Any suggestions?

7 comments:

  1. What a delightful meal. Your bruschetta looks amazing good. I am new to your blog and I decided to spend dome time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fresh and amazing dinner! Bruschetta rocks- I haven't made a homemade version in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bruschetta! Yours looks great! I grow my own herbs and what I found with basil is that it should be planted in well-drained soil and kept somewhat moist, it should never be soggy or the roots will rot. It should also be in an area where it gets sun for a few hours each day. I keep mine in a sunny window. They grow pretty fast and sometimes I have to repot mine so it does not get rootbound.

    I hope you have a fabulous weekend!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always find it amazing when people haven't seen something that I love so much!! I'm glad you were inspired to watch it and cook such a mouthwatering meal. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your basil plant looks so fresh and beautiful! I had a basil plant last year but that died a couple of weeks after I bought it...I'm really bad with gardening :D I haven't watched Under the Tuscan sun! Your bruschetta and chicken looks really good- now I want bruschetta!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi sweet! I loved your recipes. Very nices!
    So, I'm a new follwer.
    I invite you to know my blog and if you want, please, follow me and know a lot of the brazilian food!

    http://kibe-cozinhandocomamigos.blogspot.com/

    Good cooking!

    Kisses.

    Luiz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy is right! What a fun combination with fresh and vibrant flavors! Thanks for sharing! What a great choice for Food 'n Flix!

    ReplyDelete