Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Turkey Chili


It's raining here in Southern CA, and I love it. We don't get rain very often so I try to enjoy every minute. I spent my evening with the kitchen window cracked open, listening to the rain while I cooked away. For dinner I made turkey chili, and at the suggestion of a fellow blogger, I used lentils instead of beans. Traders Joes sells pre-cooked lentils in their produce section so I didn't have to wait for the lentils to soften.

Here are the ingredients:

1 lb ground turkey (I browned this with the onion and then added the rest of the ingredients to the pot to simmer)

1 medium yellow onion

1 t each: chili powder, cumin, hot paprika, kosher salt

pepper to taste

approx 1 C beef stock (I normally would have used chicken stock but I had a carton of beef stock already open in my fridge)

1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles

approx 2 C pre-cooked lentils

1 C tomato juice (ok, so normally I would have used tomato sauce, but I forgot to buy some and had tomato juice in the fridge)

Bring everything to a boil, add more stock if needed and simmer for approx 20 min.

I like to top my chili with sour cream and I serve it with quesadillas on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment