Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Anne Burrell's Sweet Potato and Apple Hash

Clearly I did something wrong. It started out well, but......

 Onions and bacon....smelling and looking delicious

 Sweet Potatoes and Rosemary ready to be
covered and simmered.

 And now we have chunky apples and mushy sweet potatoes. Clearly I did something wrong.
I know I cooked the sweet potatoes too long.
There seems to be way too much liquid left as well which I don't understand since I followed the directions.

The dish was still good but it could have been a lot better. One major change I would make, remove the bacon before the simmer process and then top the dish at the end. My bacon ended up soggy instead of crispy, yuck.  

You can find the recipe in her new cookbook, on Foodnetwork.com or below.


Sweet Potato & Apple Hash
by Anne Burrell

ingredients

garnet yams, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice


Extra-virgin olive oil

Kosher salt

4 to 6 slices thick cut bacon, cut into lardons

1 large onion, cut in 1/2-inch dice

2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice

4 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced

1/2 cup green pumpkin seeds (pepitas), toasted

directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl, add the sweet potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, to taste. Toss to coat and arrange them on a baking sheet. Roast the sweet potatoes until they are soft but not mushy, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and reserve.

Coat a large saute pan with olive oil. Add the bacon and put the pan over medium heat. When the bacon has started to get crispy and brown, add the onions, season with salt and saute until the onions are very soft and aromatic. Add the apples and the scallion whites and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the sweet potatoes, and saute until the sweet potatoes are cooked through and starting to become crispy, about 7 to 8 minutes.

Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with the scallion greens and pumpkin seeds.

Have you ever had a recipe fail? Did you try to make it again?





7 comments:

  1. this sounds so delicious (minus the bacon). i must try it out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very original and good looking dish:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious and that's all that counts!!!
    I am thinking about getting Anne's cookbook for my son's girlfriend for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I'm sorry it didn't turn out just the way you wanted (but it still looks delicious!) Great combination of flavors, I really like Anne's style of cooking. Thank you for the review and your helpful tips.

    Oh YA ~ I've had failures, you're not alone!! Sometimes I have a do-over (especially when I realize it was something I did incorrectly.) But when the recipe is "off", I just toss it ~ never to be visited again. :) Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! I tried making Ellie Kriegers version of popcorn shrimp and it was TERRIBLE the first time. I made some adjustments and it was rocking the second time around. The flavor combo in this dish sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great! Sorry it turned out a bit mushy...

    I'm trying a recipe sort of like this one Saturday, so I'll let you know how that one goes :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think if take out the bacon the taste would change dramatically? Otherwise the recipe is a pretty healthy one!

    Peace
    Mike @TheIronYou

    ReplyDelete